A wart is a benign growth on the skin such as hands, feet and face etc they can also appear on other parts of a body. Viruses such as HPV or Human Papillomavirus (a DNA virus) are the common cause of warts infection they cause rapid growth of cells on the outer layer of skin. The question is how do you get warts, You can get warts by touching warts on someone else body or by touching (contact) with the surface that was in contact with someone’s warts.
Types of Warts:
- Common Warts are rough to touch and mostly occur on fingers.
- Plantar Warts usually appear on feet, sole and are hard.
- Mosaic Warts grow in the form of clusters and are very painful.
- Filiform Warts usually grow on face and neck etc. They are long and thin.
- Plane Warts are small, smooth and also known as Flat warts.
Causes of Warts:
- The most common cause of Warts is HPV which causes rapid growth of cells on the skin. HPV is a family of viruses that affect the skin. There are 100 types of HPV some of them cause warts.
- You can also get warts from skin to skin interaction with a person having warts and even if you have warts you can spread them on other parts of the body or on other person’s skin if you didn’t care about it.
- Sexually active people or involved in sexual activities can get HPV.
- Having a weak immune system
Symptoms of Warts:
Warts symptoms occur most commonly on your hands, feet, fingers and face etc.
- Rough Skin (Rough to touch)
- Bumps on Skin
- Flesh colored or Finger shaped growth.
Treatment or Remedies for Warts:
Warts typically disappear on their own but it can also take up to years. Warts respond variably to different treatment methods.
- Salicylic Acid is used for the treatment of warts it softens the infected cells and then dissolves them.
- Duct tape method is also used to treat warts. Steps: (Clean skin around warts – dry skin – cover wart with duct tape – remove duct tape after a week – dip wart in water for several minutes – gently rub wart with pumice stone etc – reapply duct tape and repeat procedure until wart vanish.
- Cryotherapy or Freezing treatments are also used for the treatment of warts in this process cold air (liquid nitrogen) is sprayed on wart this treat skin quickly but this process can’t treat all warts. It can cause pain for up to 3 days.
- Surgery is usually considered in such a case when all other methods of treating warts are not working. In this process, a doctor cut the wart by surgical equipment or treat it with electricity. It can be painful for a short span. Laser surgery is also used for the treatment of warts.
- Medicines are also used for the treatment of warts such as retinoid cream, Sal-plant gel etc. Consult doctor for proper guide according to your wart condition.
- Do not try to treat the wart on your feet etc if you are suffering from diabetes and also don’t try to treat warts on face and other sensitive parts of the body it can cause damage consult doctor in such cases.
There are several ways to prevent you from warts such as:
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Don’t touch skin having warts or surface which was in contact with warts.
- Cover wart areas.
- Avoid Bitting Nails.
- Keep your feet and hands dry.
- Boost your immune system to fight against HPV.
- Avoid Oral Sex (Can cause HPV transmission)